Hello LOVES! I just couldn’t help myself typing this design up to share with y’all! It works up pretty quickly – and it’s just in time for Mother’s Day! I just put the finishing touches on the design last night, and got it all typed up. So, needless to say – y’all are my pattern testers! If you find anything wrong, if something isn’t quite clear, or if y’all have any tips on pattern writing – please comment or send me a quick message on Insta or use the Contact Form at the top of the page. I’m such a beginner at the whole pattern writing game. 🙂
I also wrote this pattern with two possible endings to the last row. (((I went through a phase where I read those “choose your own ending” books all the time growing up – so this is JUST LIKE THAT only in crochet form!!! – No, wait, it’s not like that, really at all, is it?))) Anywhoooo… The candle votive I was using at first with the flat last row was a bit shorter, so I just chose to SC the last row, but the UPCYCLED baby food container that I used I chose to create a bit of a picot border for the last row. OK, I’m finished rambling on – I’m sure you can see exactly what I did from the photos – and the pattern, of course!
“Row of Tulips” Candle Holder Cozy
Sugar n Cream Cotton Yarn in 3 (or 4 if wanting to make the “sky” different from the “soil”) colours
H / 5 mm hook
When ending each row: sl st in beginning ch 1, ch 1 (does not count as stitch)
begin with soil color yarn – ch 4, sl st in beginning ch 1 to form loop, ch 1
1. 9 sc in middle of loop (9 stitches)
2. 2 sc in each stitch around (18 stitches)
3. *2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next* repeat from * to * around (27 stitches)
4. 1 sc in each st around (27)
5&6. repeat row 4
7. join green yarn – ch 5, dc in same st, skip 2 st *1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in same stitch, skip 2 st* around ( 10 complete V stitches including first with ch 5)
8. join red yarn – sl st into ch 2 space of first V st, ch 3, dc4tog in same space, ch 2, *dc5tog in ch 2 space of next V stitch, ch 2*, repeat from * to * around, sl st in top of ch 3 at beginning of row (10 complete “blooms” with 2 ch in between each)
9. join sky color yarn – *1 sc into top of first tulip bloom, 2sc into chain space between blooms*, repeat from * to * around (30)
10. *1 hdc, 1 hdc, hdc2tog, hdc2tog* repeat from * to * around (20)
11. 1 sc in each st around (20)
Alt Row 11: *1sc, ch 3 1sc in same space, skip st* repeat from * to * around (10 picot stitches)
Now just slip it over your votive cup – add a candle or tea light, & enjoy!
OH yeah – OK, my MOM mentioned this – so I just wanted to pass it on. To be safe – please make sure all of your crochet fabric is below the lip of the candle holder so there’s no chance it can catch flame! YOWZERS! We don’t need anyting like that now, do we?
Add this pattern to your Ravelry Favorites and Queue!!!
ANNNND – don’t forget to tag me with your creations using this pattern! I’d love to see (and feature) your gorgeous work!
Use #kssmakes & #kssrowoftulips on Insta and Twitter to tag!